Today in VoiceCATCH, we read Ed Ochester’s “Changing the Name to Ochester” (found in Unreconstructed), and thought about families: how they move countries and cities, how we may or may not know our grandparents and great grandparents.
Try writing about either your personal history, or your family’s history. Here are a few ideas:
1. Write about your relationship with where you live now.
2. Write about your hometown, if it’s not where you live now.
3. If you don’t live in your hometown, write about how you got to where you are now.
4. Write about how your family got to a particular place. This might include a history of immigration to the U.S., a migration between regions, or how your parents met and relocated, even if only to a different neighborhood or across the street to a new apartment or house.
5. Write about your parents, grandparents, or great grandparents.